Friday, February 26, 2010

Chapter 3- More on Fruit

Amendment to my grapefruit analogy yesterday. My life is not a grapefruit (I'm gonna make a shirt that says that). I think we tend to think that a lot don't we? Work, work, work. Struggle, struggle, struggle and then we get to enjoy life (or enjoy the grapefruit as it were). NO!! I disown that lie!

Ecclesiastes is a fantastic book. There is a profound and painfully honest look into the human condition that can be found there. There is no sugar coating what Solomon was feeling. He's not trying to impress anybody or God with having "nice thoughts" about life and living. Read it. One scripture that stands out to me is 2:24, A man can do nothing better than to eat and drink and find satisfaction in his work. this too, I see, is from the hand of God.

Oh, to find satisfaction in our work. We all gotta do what we gotta do, but we can find that pleasure and satisfaction by putting our work in context with where our aim is. That's a whole 'nother topic, but believe me it's worth gaining perspective on.

Today was a good day for connecting. I had lunch with a director friend of mine who has been in the business for years. That man has an amazing story. It's fascinating yet strangely tragic to hear his journey which seemed to spawn from a disillusionment of life and a desire to examine the facade that humanity surrounds itself with in entertainment. And despite the incredible things that he has done, I get the sense that he feels he hasn't found what his heart truly desires yet.

Anyway, he was incredibly supportive and it was just helpful to learn from his experiences and the turning points in his life which all seemed to involve being tried by fire and challenged and facing it without freaking out. I definitely need the challenge right now.

I then found myself involved in a conversation with a co-worker of mine and just kind of relaying my life story to him. He responded by saying "That's an incredible story!" And I thought to myself, "It is, isn't it?" See, I have this strange lie that I live with that my life is not exciting. That it's pretty dull in fact. It's a thought that in a sense has driven me to this little excursion. But I think God reminded me today that this little story I'm living IS attractive and speaks to the desire of people's hearts. We all have a story and the way we choose to present it helps define who we are.

Are you a good storyteller?

--reading more of the script today, helping a friend shoot a little vignette and watching Zombieland with friends tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment